It all started in 1961 when Floyd Hembruff, the first President of the club along with 32 other gentlemen, opened the Charter in district 7010. Throughout the years, this club has thrived on being small but mighty.
For those of you wh1o may not know, Rotary’s Motto is Service Above Self. Putting the needs of others before your own. What an amazing and rewarding experience it is being a Rotarian knowing that our goal is to make a difference. And we have….. We can’t possibly list every project or task where the Rotary Club of Matheson Club has made a difference, but let me paint somewhat of a picture for you……….
• We have sponsored handicapped children, and helped build the Northwood camp,
• supported Easter Seals,
• created the breakfast for learning program,
• provided funds to Bingham Memorial Hospital,
• supported the development of the Ontario Early Years Centre,
• Developed the Community Garden,
• Built Rotary Trail, maintained Rotary Park,
• restored the Grave Lake Aboriginal Cemetery,
• Supported Literacy Programs,
• helped build playgrounds,
• Supported Youth Exchange and Youth Leadership programs.
• We support the food bank,
• co-host the Santa Express,
• and provide Christmas for Rosedale residents.
• We have hosted public information sessions and municipal meet the candidates events,
• and when no-one was looking, we’ve helped struggling families overcome their challenges and young athletes achieve their goals.
• We’ve helped get closer to the world eradication of polio,
• dug wells in India, and built schools and hospitals in the Dominican.
It’s hard to imagine, that back in 1961 anyone could have ever guessed the difference we would make….YES – We are small BUT we are mighty!
The work started by Rotarians years ago, has provided the foundation of which our club is built today. But it is not just the Rotarians who make our success. Our community host of number of strong, yet silent ones, who, without fail, turn out when rotary hands are few. These people are our trusted Friends of Rotary, doing and never asking for anything in return….To you, we say thank-you for being a part of our Rotary family.
For more information, please visit our Facebook Page